Not Super Dobro

>> Tuesday, August 22, 2006

The owner of the dive centre in Vela Luka is English and his wife is Dutch. The staff are from: Germany, Holland, England, Wales, Russia, and one Croatian. Consequently there is very little Croatian spoken. The word for "good" in Croatian is dobro. If nothing else, everyone manages to learn this. Yet nobody seems to know the Croatian word for "very", so if something is very good, it is super dobro. Locals even use this expression.

What is NOT super dobro in Croatia... maybe just on the coast/islands as I never had a problem in Zagreb is that there is some kind of bug (I don't know what because I have never seen it - I think it must be invisible!) that leaves really nasty bites. Unlike most bug bites in which the itchiness and swelling gets better after a couple days, these just get worse! The bites are driving me mad! I cannot even wear my watch on my left wrist as it is covered in bites and swollen.

0 comments: