Last night in Vela Luka
>> Tuesday, August 22, 2006
I am so sad to be leaving tomorrow! I have had so much fun here. Vela Luka has tourists, but they are far from taking over. When you go to restaurants/pubs, there are more Croatians than tourists. Every night I hear the sound of Croatian music coming from one direction or another as there is always a band playing somewhere until the wee hours. You can usually also hear the Croatians singing along. One night I went out with a couple of the scuba instructors (one German, one Dutch) and two other divers (one Croatian, one Hungarian) to a pub. The only other people there were Croatian and they were singing along to every song. A bit later on, when it was just us three divers, we had a rather entertaining conversation about how to order a large beer. Slijard (the Hungarian) had noticed that sometimes menus say pivo for beer, sometimes piva. Božo (NOT prounounced like Bozo the Clown, the ž sounds like the "su" in treasure) was trying hopelessly to explain masculine and feminine to us, but I think he had already had one beer too many and the conversation ended up down some ridiculous road with us concluding that the large beers were male and the smaller ones were female.
After that multicultural night... I went out the next night with an American, a German, a South African, and a Japanese woman. Very diverse bunch of tourists here! The woman from Japan was so cute. She did her open water course here and struggled because of the language. Whenever she got excited about understanding something she made a very loud "Oooooohh" in her soft voice. Gave us all a lot of laughs.
Just before I got here, a couple English sisters finished their open water course. One had just turned 10, the other was 11. They were remarkable! Great little divers. Hard to believe that they can understand the dive tables when many adults have trouble with them.
Unfortunately, the bus to Dubrovnik leaves at 5:15 am tomorrow. That handy water taxi does not run that early, so I have to haul my stuff ALLLLLL the way around the bay.
I can´t believe that I will be back in London in 3 days!!!!!!!!!!!!! : (
3 comments:
Until just now, I had no idea where Croatia was. I thought it was further north and west. I'm so embarassed!
Sounds like a fabulous place to visit. Glad you had a great time! Sorry it has to end.
Kendra
Croatia sounds amazing! I went kayaking for the first time today while we were in the Bahamas. Email me an address (in London when you have one) so I can send you a postcard. Pictures, next!
Kendra - it's alright.. it hasn't been called Croatia for that long... : )
I am sure I wouldn't have known where it was either if it wasn't for the war in the early 90's.
Post a Comment