Diving the Adriatic

>> Thursday, August 17, 2006

When I arrived here yesterday, I could not find the information centre to ask where the dive centre was. Across the bay I saw a building with a dive flag on it and hoped for the best. It turned out to be a LONG walk. Well, not that bad except for the fact that it was hot and I had my pack on. I was so thirsty and needing a swim when I got there. But of course, Bobby (owner of the dive centre) was all excited to get me organized. When I commented about how hot and tired I was from the walk, he asked me why I hadn´t taken the water taxi. Duh! Because I didn´t know there was one. Maybe if I had found the information centre... Anyway, it´s a marvellous thing.. the dive centre, beach, and where I am staying is across the bay from the town centre, and a water taxi goes across at least every half hour. They say it is every half hour, but I see that guy going back and forth and back and forth... raking in the kunas.

Just as I was on my way to the shower last night, "grandmere" stopped me and brought me into the kitchen. The "mom", Lučia, offered me wine or juice and asked me to sit down at the kitchen table. Then she brought me cake and we tried to have a conversation. It was quite a challenge because her English wasn´t very good, but it was entertaining. She definitely thinks very highly of Canada. She was all excited when she found out that is where I am from. A very sweet woman.

Did two dives today. One was a cavern dive to a site called the Blue Hole. It was quite pretty.. the light filtering in through holes in the rock. The next dive was a wall dive. Not many fish, but lots of anemones, urchins and funky nudibranches. Afterwards we had a BBQ on the boat. I think the cook has taken a liking to me. For some reason he dished up food onto a plate and brought it to me. Even one of the divemasters commented on it. Ahhh... I am such a charmer. Hahaha. I don´t think this guy will get the wrong idea, he is definitely old enough to be my dad.

1 comments:

Anonymous 2:56 p.m.  

Isn't it about time Katrina that you stopped deceiving all these trusting Eastern Europeans about your being Canadian and just admitted that you are a YANK!? Some day one of them will eventually peal off the maple leaf on your rucksack to reveal the stars and stripes craftily hidden beneath...

But shucks - even then their goodwill wouldn't evaporate 'cos of your winning ways...

Don't forget I'll be wanting souvenirs from each country you visit etc etc (and you might just get a shillelagh in return)

Anon O' Connery