I have found PARADISE..

>> Friday, August 11, 2006

and it is in Croatia! I knew when the bus rolled in at 5:00 am, even though it was still dark. Split is set amongst the hills on the coast. I can completely understand why the Roman emperor Diocletian decided to build his retirement palace here in 295 AD. The palace - 30,000 square metres - is now the Old Town. It's totally bizarre. The hostel I am staying at is in the palace. The weather is fantastic and I think I need to buy myself a proper beach towel. (In the interest of packing light - plus not having to lug around a wet, smelly towel - I just brought my small quick drying MEC towel.)

I've only got one day here in Split, and then I am heading to the islands. First to Hvar and then to Vela Luka (on the island of Korcula). I am not sure about what the availability of internet access will be on the islands... so if there is no new posts for awhile... I am on the beach... or scuba diving... or having a pivo (beer).

The Croatian people are extremely friendly. Whether they speak any English or not, there is always a smile. I even got a "Welcome to Split" this morning as I walked down the street.

4 comments:

Anonymous 12:46 a.m.  

Sounds wonderful. Enjoy your diving or sitting on the beach or your beer!!

Looking forward to hearing of the islands.

Anonymous 12:46 a.m.  

Sorry, that comment would be from me.

Kendra

Kat 4:06 a.m.  

I figured so Kendra. : )

Anonymous 5:12 a.m.  

I figured you figured, but I just wanted to make sure! ;)

K