Tunisia - The Holy City of Kairouan

>> Thursday, November 10, 2005

After Tamerza, it was back into the 4x4's to meet up with our bus. I was having quite a lot of fun being tossed about and wasn't looking forward to getting back on the bus. Back on the main road, we headed to Gafsa for lunch. Then it was a long journey north. I slept through most of it - it had been a long 2 days with early mornings!

Our last stop on the 2 day journey was at the Great Mosque in the city of Kairouan. This mosque is considered to be the 3rd most holy mosque in the world (according to our tour guide). It has the world's oldest minaret (the tower), dating back to the eighth century. Unfortunately non-Muslims are not allowed inside.



After the 2 day trip, I only had 1 more day in Tunisia!! I spent it on the beach with the South African sisters. Got my last bit of swimming in the Med in, attempted to get some kind of tan to look as though I actually took a holiday, and just relaxed. After all, I had to prepare for the hell that is the airport in Tunis!!! (Don't even ask!)

0 comments: