Salisbury and Bristol - Nov 12
>> Sunday, November 27, 2005
After we were done visiting the Salisbury Cathedral, Diane and I walked around town for a bit and then went and had a late lunch where I had the best cider I have ever had! It's a Swedish pear cider and was it yummy!
Here's a few more pics from in and around Salisbury.
View of Salisbury from Old Sarum (the old town before it was moved)
I just thought this was neat for those of us that have read "The Lord of the Flies"
Odd building
After Salisbury, we carried on to Bristol which was where we spent the night. We first stopped at the Clifton Suspension Bridge as it offers a beautiful view of the gorge containing the River Avon.
200 year old Clifton Suspension Bridge
View of the River Avon and the gorge from the bridge
Next stop was our hotel for a quick change and then off to enjoy the hopping night life of Bristol. There are a lot of universities in Bristol so it's a bit of a party town. In the old part of the city which we stayed in, it was only about a 20 minute walk to a waterfront area teeming with bars and pubs. First stop was the Pitcher and Piano where we had a few drinks and got appetizers for the group. It wasn't the liveliest place - although 3 floors high and very cool looking - so small groups of people drifted off in search of more fun. Fortunately you didn't have to go too far in search of a new place as it was just one bar/pub after another. The bunch that I was with was an extraordinarily indecisive bunch and we walked all the way back past all the bars without choosing one. Then it was 6 of us looking at each other and nobody saying anything. Finally Meg (from Vancouver) said that she saw a saxophone player at the last bar we passed. That was enough for me to pipe up and suggest checking it out. Was I ever glad she spotted him! It turns out that there was an absolutely amazing funk band from New York playing. We had a great time dancing and I even talked the band into playing a couple extra songs "for Canada".
0 comments:
Post a Comment