Stonehenge - Nov 12
>> Saturday, November 26, 2005
In a not-surprising turn of events (given the ridiculously early hour), I was awoken by my roommate precisely 15 minutes before I had to get out the door to catch the train for the weekend trip to southwest England. The good news - I hadn't even packed yet! Believe it or not, I made the train and even managed to stop at the bank machine on the way! As it turned out, the second train that I had to take ended up being delayed for some unknown reason, and I ended up arriving late anyway. However a handful of people were half an hour later than me. Such is the public transportation system in this country - expensive and efficient!
A little later than planned, but we finally headed off - a bus load of teachers hailing from Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and one lone American. This whole concept of touring on a bus is a bit strange to me still, but this trip was a lot slower paced than the one I took in Tunisia! In fact, it was perfect. At all our stops we had loads of time and could do whatever we wanted. We had a phenomenal tour guide, Andrew, who was a hilarious Australian with a wealth of knowledge. Pretty much anywhere in the world you wanted to know about - he has been there.
Our first stop was Stonehenge. Obviously one of England's most famous landmarks, however I found it a bit disappointing. The stones weren't as big as I thought they would be, and you couldn't walk up close to them. However, it was still awesome to see something that originated nearly 5000 years ago.
0 comments:
Post a Comment