Tarantulas and Hercules Beetles, Oh My!
>> Wednesday, August 13, 2008
Typically my travels are plagued by injury, particularily of toes and/or feet. (Amazingly, I did not break a toe on Roatan considering the completely dark, obstacle-ridden path back to the dorm that I travelled many a night after many a drink.) Now I think I have found a new thing... losing stuff. It started with losing my towel in Roatan. A bit annoying because it was pricey, but I actually brought two towels. One super ridiculous light and small one for showering and one slightly larger for using on the beach. I lost the really small MSR one. But I am good because I still have a towel. Obviously I was being too extravagant of a traveller. Today's loss really sucks though. I had taken my magnetic sunglass clip off while taking a photo partway across a field and put it in one of my front pockets. In my haste to hide my camera in my bag after taking the photo, I forgot to take the sunglass clip out of my pocket. I walked the rest of the way across the field before realizing that I didn´t have it on and that it wasn't in my pocket! I spent over half an hour walking back and forth across the field and never did find it. I managed to get a bit of a sunburn in the process, but no luck on the sunglass clip. So I have to spend the next 3 1/2 weeks without it. Vision problems are such a pain... laser eye surgery is sounding better and better..
I spent the afternoon at La Ceiba's Butterfly and Insect museum, a really cool place ran by a guy named Robert Lehman. He's a former US primary school teacher who took early retirement to catch bugs in the wilds of Honduras. When I got there he was giving a tour for a group of Hondurans, half in English and half in Spanish (for some English was their first language, for some Spanish). It was hilarious to watch a couple young boys of perhaps 7 or 8 years old be all scared at first of holding a rhinoceros beetle (they are big!), and then once they had done that, they wanted to touch everything! They ended up chasing a cockroach around the place which was so funny. I actually held a tarantula which wasn't so bad, and also a Hercules beetle, which I found freakier for some reason.
Now I am off "home" to get some food (we shall see what the help has cooked up) and then I am going to try to swing by Karine and Tom's house for a beverage before ESTUDIO, ESTUDIO, ESTUDIO!
0 comments:
Post a Comment