Happy in Honduras

>> Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Yesterday I went on a bit of a city tour with one of the teachers from the Spanish school. A couple people from Utah who are in La Ceiba for a couple weeks of lessons and then are headed out for 5 months of volunteer work came along as well. It was helpful to get a bit of an idea of where things are, where are good places to eat, drink, etc. I wanted to take loads of pictures, but was hesitant because I didn't want to flash my camera around too much. It's a strange thing to get used to... I am usually always snapping pics wherever I go. The two people from Utah never took any pictures until we got to the beach area of a rather nice hotel. I guess after our guide mentioned that he had been robbed 7 times in the past two years they got a bit scared!

Last night I ended up going out shopping and to the mall with a few people: a guy who is also staying with the same family as me, and a couple girls (one English, one Canadian). The guy is a young Londoner (18 or 19 maybe?) who was all too familiar with the (horrible) girls' school I worked at in Wimbledon because his former girlfriend went there. We've had some interesting chats about schooling in England and the behaviour of (many of) the students there. He thought it was amusing that I didn't have any trouble understanding his accent, as apparently everyone else does. The three of them have all been here for over a month and have had the unfortunate experience of watching someone get shot on a bus. Hopefully I don't see anything like that!

My lesson this morning was fantastic!! I got a new teacher, Alex, who absolutely rocks. He found out what I wanted/needed to learn and that is what we focused on. We even did a little field trip to Burger King where he bought me lunch. Of course, I had to ask how to get there and understand and follow his directions to get us there and back! We had a good chat over lunch as well (in English). He is studying tourism at the university and it is interesting to hear how disappointed he is that many Hondurans are trying to leave Honduras. He wants to stay and is hopeful for change... a cleaner, safer, less corrupt Honduras.

I got some information about after class activities today and it looks like there will be plenty to keep me busy this week if I want to. I may also meet up with a couple of American teachers who are living here in La Ceiba (thanks to the wonderful world of blogging). It also looks like I may have found a travel buddy to meet up with on Friday (or so) for a few days. So.... now that I am back to being busy and social... I'm happy in Honduras! HOT and happy!

0 comments: