A Wet and Itchy Night

>> Saturday, June 23, 2007

Well... that's it! The travels are done. I had a wonderful final few days of my trip in Granada. The Alhambra, touted as having the most impressive Islamic architecture in Europe, was as amazing as everyone says. Unfortunately, my last night in Spain didn't quite go as planned. I decided that since I was going to arrive in Almeria late at night and had an early morning flight back to London, that I would just stay at the airport. I worked it out so that I had as much time in Granada as possible and would be able to catch the last bus from Almeria to the airport which was about 10 km outside the city. The part I didn't count on? The fact that they actually shut the airport down completely at 11 pm. Security kicked me out and I had no way to get back to town as there were no more buses and no taxis around. Being as dry and desert-like as it is around there, I didn't have many options for comfortable sleeping arrangements on the ground. I found what I thought looked alright as there were some sort of little green plants which I thought might make for a somewhat cosier sleep than the concrete. They did, however I think they were some kind of cactus as I woke up a few hours later and I was soaking wet and cold! I managed to off and on sleep a few more hours as I tried to stay warm. When I got up and out of my sleeping sheet, the whole thing was wet and green! Also completely covered in ants! Thankfully they weren't the biting kind. It did end up being two days before I was able to have a shower (when I got to Canada) and I kept thinking I had ants crawling on me.

I had one last night in London which I spent with my friend Janine... mostly running around getting my luggage out of storage and to the airport. It's funny how just being gone for 5 weeks requires you to readjust when you get back. Janine had to stop me from walking in front of a car as I had looked the wrong way for traffic.

So now I am back in Canada... resting my foot as I should have done for the last month...

1 comments:

Divinity 6:02 a.m.  

Welcome home, babe! Rest up and then get your butt out here to the Left Coast... :o)