Day 2 in Edinburgh

>> Monday, May 29, 2006

Had much better weather today. It was mostly sunny so I opted to go to Edinburgh Castle in the morning and then to the Royal Botanic Gardens. In between I squeezed in a bit of wandering/shopping on Princes Street (the main shopping area, also with some gardens that have great views up to the castle). The castle was fantastic. I ended up spending 4 hours there and could easily have spent more. I went rather quickly through the War Museum. One of the more interesting aspects was seeing the Scottish Crown Jewels. Particularily the Stone of Destiny where the Scottish Kings used to place their feet during their coronation. For many years it was in Westminster Abbey in London, but was stolen by some Scottish students in 1950. These rogues eventually got their wish as the Stone was returned to Scotland in 1996. The prison areas were also neat to see. Some had doors which had been graffitied with all sorts of interesting things. The Scottish War Memorial was very touching (and so was the little cemetary for officer's dogs).

After a quick lunch, I wandered into a kilt weaving mill to see how they make kilts. Then off to Princes Street for a few more photo ops and a duck into a few shops. I next took the bus to the Botanic Gardens. It was very beautiful and peaceful to walk around, although I have to confess that I got lost! There were all sorts of little trails all over the place and I wasn't sure how to get out. I kept thinking... I have seen this tree or this bush already...

One more day here.. then it's off to Stirling.

By the way... I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT THE OILERS ARE IN THE STANLEY CUP FINAL. That is incredible. : ) : ) : ) That's worth 3 smiles.

0 comments: