Welcome to the dark side of Athens

>> Sunday, May 27, 2007

After a brrr.... wake up morning swim with Tanya, it was time to get packed to catch the ferry to Athens. I don't feel too bad about having to spend the afternoon on the ferry as it did nothing but rain. I arrived at the hostel at around 5 PM so I decided to head out for something to eat. I thought I would try a Lonely Planet recommendation... so off I went. As I arrived at the corner restaurant, there was a chaotic scene. There were a couple police and a whole crowd of people yelling at them. I chose a table and sat down to watch the action (close, but not too close). After some resisting, a woman was put in handcuffs. Then the other cop took a guy down to the ground, kneed him in the gut and cuffed him as well. What kind of dodgy neighbourhood had LP sent me to?!?

To top off the night... on my way back to the hostel, I noticed a very scantily clad woman that I had seen on my way to dinner. For a second I thought, "Hmm, strange... she is still on that corner more than an hour later." Then it dawned on me... prostitute. I looked further down the street and there was a bunch of them.

0 comments: