Spot the Leopard (or not)

>> Saturday, April 07, 2007

Today was a much slower paced day than previous days. On the agenda was only a jeep safari tour of Yala National Park which was several hours away. Since the safari was only starting at 3:00 PM, we took our time getting to Tissamaharama where we would spend the night and also meet the jeep for the safari.

En route, we stopped at Rawana Falls so I could take some pictures. We ended up watching the macaques play for awhile. They are highly entertaining. It was a game of climb up the highway sign, climb the tree and then slide down the branches and down the signpost. All the while they are chasing each other. There was a bit of an ugly scene as a persistent salesman pushed a gem into my arm and I pushed my arm back. The unfinished gem went skittering across the highway. I didn't feel bad.

Next we stopped at a monks’ meditation centre and took a little walk to see some Buddha images carved into a cliff in either the 1st or 2nd century BC. As we carried on into Tissa, we saw two mongoose. Cute little things!

When we arrived at Tissa, I decided we should go to an organic vegetable restaurant that Lal had recently discovered. Everything is grown right there and you could taste the freshness. It was definitely the best Sri Lankan meal I have had all week. Not only was the food outstanding, the restaurant itself added to the whole experience. It is built around a mango tree and has several levels. It was like eating lunch in a treehouse! It’s a really unique place. It’s owned by a Canadian. Part of the proceeds are given to charity to help local disabled people. There is also a roadside stand selling the organic fruit and veg. The owner tried to open a school there, but it only lasted a short while as the government decided to send the teacher elsewhere. It was a big disappointment to the community as there is no local school and the kids have to travel quite far to go to school. The new plan is to open up an information and technology school available to both adults and children.

After a fantastic lunch, it was time to head on safari. If I remember everything, here is what we saw:

  • Land monitor lizards
  • Tons of birds (Sri Lanka is a bird watcher’s paradise)
  • Crocodiles
  • Spotted deer
  • Wild buffalo
  • Peacocks
  • Rabbits
  • Parrots
  • Elephants
  • Mongoose


Unfortunately, we missed out on seeing two leopards that crossed the road by just a couple of minutes. We tried to spot them in the trees, but we couldn’t. I had also had hoped to see a sloth bear, but no luck. It was still great fun though. There was also an unexpected twist. I knew that the tsunami of 2004 had hit the coast of Yala National Park, but I didn't realize that people had died. Suddenly we came out of the jungle and onto a gorgeous beach. There was the remains of a hotel (basically just the floor) along with a memorial. 15 Japanese and German tourists died along with 29 Sri Lankan tourists. 3 people were also declared missing. The Department of Wildlife Conservation built a memorial to honour the dead and missing.

Speaking of the tsunami, everywhere I go, I get comments about how much aid Canada provides to Sri Lanka. It was particularly noteworthy after the tsunami, but Canada provided aid before and still does. It definitely elicits a positive response when I tell people where I am from.

Tonight at dinner, a couple approached me and asked me where I was from. I think the man had heard me speaking to the waiter and could tell the accent. The couple are Sri Lankan, but both lived in Canada for awhile and actually met there. She lived in Scarborough and he lived in Regina. Coincidentally, he is also a teacher. We chatted a bit about the differences and similarities of teaching in Canada and Sri Lanka. It seems that no matter where you go, the breakdown of the family unit and the lack of quality time spent as a family is having a negative impact on kids. Traditional values are not only slipping away in the West, it is happening in the East as well. It was quite an enlightening conversation. It was also nice to talk to somebody besides my driver for a change!

0 comments: