Warsaw - Day 1
>> Wednesday, July 26, 2006
Whew is it hot here. Maybe not as bad as London (less humid I think), but still darn hot!! Even the Brazilian woman in my dorm room is complaining.
I spent most of today in the Old Town. It's an area that was largely destroyed during World War II and has been rebuilt quite beautifully. The architecture is lovely. I visited the Royal Castle (home of former Polish kings) which was reduced to rubble in 1945 and reconstructed from 1971 to 1984. All I can say is "That's a lotta gold!!" I also went to the Warsaw Historical Museum which had a film (in English) on Poland's destruction during WWII. Very sad.
So far I am enjoying Warsaw more than I thought I would be. It's humourously westernized, has interesting architecture, and I feel completely awful because I can't speak a word of Polish. Everyone in Europe seems to speak several languages. We are really a hopeless bunch in Canada. I had to tell the woman from Brazil that I don't even speak French, one of our official languages.
The best news of the day - I have a bed tonight!!!
2 comments:
YAY!! Comments! I've been hoping that you would have some someday!!!
I love reading of your travels. Thanks for sharing.
Never thought I would want to go to Warsaw, but a good friend of mine is from Polland and has suggested we travel there someday.
Kendra
Thanks Kendra. I didn't realize until just recently that my comments weren't working.
I think everywhere is interesting in it's own way...
Post a Comment