This is it...

>> Sunday, July 23, 2006

Down to the last 48 hours in London. I am not ready to go!! Too much going on this past week to really even think about leaving, let alone do anything about it. And of course, I was easily tempted into going to the pub after school ended yesterday.

It just hit home with me at our staff BBQ on Thursday as the school was doing it's goodbyes to all of the staff who are leaving, that my friend Diana is going back to Vancouver on Monday and not coming back. Of course we will stay in touch, but I am going to miss her!!! We've been friends since I first got here and met her at my agency's Friday pub night. For the past 5 months I have also been working at the same school as her.

It also hit me at the BBQ, that I am finishing (now finished) my first year as a teacher. Sort of an interesting feeling... a sense of accomplishment (I survived!), a bit surprised that it went by so fast, and happy... because I really enjoy what I am doing. I know teaching in the UK is a lot different than in Canada (for one thing you don't get hired and fired so often there!), but I really love teaching. The kids aren't always wonderful, there are super busy times, some days you want to pull your hair out.. but it is all worth it. The students are worth it. When I suddenly found myself jobless on Monday, one of my students could sense that something was wrong as soon as she walked into class. When I told her what had happened, she was outraged. Her and another student declared that it wasn't fair, and told me that they were going to write reference letters for me to help me get another job. I didn't really think they were serious, but the next day, they came to me with reference letters they had written for me! It was such an unbelievably sweet thing to do. And the letters were really good! Here's some of what they said...

"I cannot stress how grateful I am that she has helped me to increase my grades to such an extent. I feel that that I could not have made such progress with any teacher other than Ms. Johnson."

"She is an incredibly innovative teacher who is easy to talk to and will spend more time than necessary in assisting us with our work to ensure we achieve the highest possible results."

"Ms. Johnson is a brilliant teacher and an absolute asset to the school."

"She is kind-hearted and organised, and always had the lesson well planned out."

"I think Ms. Johnson has a general love for teaching, and a passion for helping her students succeed, and I am confident now that I will be leaving ICT with exceptional marks thanks to her."

Not too bad for a couple of 15 year old girls! It's really nice to see that they thought so much of me as a teacher. It was tough to say goodbye to many of the girls.. but I managed to do so without crying.

So it's finishing packing, putting my stuff in storage tomorrow, one last hurrah with friends at the Maple Leaf Pub tomorrow night, and then off to Poland.

The next post will be one from the road...

0 comments: