Make up your mind already!

>> Wednesday, February 14, 2007

It seems like it has been absolutely ages since I last posted on here. I am surprised to see that it was actually less than 2 weeks ago. My time is so insanely busy that every day goes by really fast at the time, but then seems like an eternity ago just a couple days later. (Does that even make sense?)

So we had a "heat day" last year, this year we have had a "snow day". Last Wednesday they were predicting a massive snowfall on Thursday... well, for London I suppose 15 cm is massive. Due to the fact that they predicted public transport chaos, my school decided to cancel the first two periods on Thursday and start a couple hours late. I enjoyed the chance to sleep in a bit, but still left with plenty of time because I figured my journey was likely to be a nightmare. In fact it was absolutely perfect. It turns out that very few students came to school (surprise, surprise) so they ended up taking the kids out for a snowball fight and then sending them home. It also meant that teachers could go home too. I did a couple hours of work and then took the chance to go home early and have a nap!

The deal when I moved into my place was that I could stay for as long or as short a time as I wanted, but I had to find someone to take my place when I wanted to leave. It sounded like a good idea at the time given that I had already lived in 4 different places in a year, so a 6 month requirement might be a stretch. Now not such a good idea. First I had to wait for everything to get fixed that decided to break or get disconnected over Christmas/early January. That included having no phone line, no TV, no internet and no washing machine. Bad timing. Finally got that all sorted. Then comes the tricky part... finding someone to move into my room and a place to move to at the same time. I can't afford to pay rent in two places so I need to find someone to take my room first. As a result I have let a really great place go. This whole houseshare nonsense is so crazy. You have to decide if you like the place more than all the other places you have seen and the people have to decide if they like you more than all the other people that have come to see their place. The entire process takes ages to get anywhere! Not to mention the "Aussie, Kiwi, Saffa only" houseshares. That eliminates about half the possibilities right there. I actually had one guy call me back to say that they were going to have all the people that they liked come back a second time. A second time? Can you not judge me in half an hour? Just pick somebody already!! The funny thing is... nobody asks for references from work or previous landlords. Whether you can pay the rent is obviously irrelevant. Totally bizarre. I'm already this bitter and I've only gone to look at a few places, two of which were too far from work, one which I had to let go, and one where I may or may not get invited back for a second cross examination. Ughh. Not to mention the challenge of finding someone to take my room. It's a great place!! I looked at lots of places around here and it was the best place I found. Somebody else must think so too... hurry up and call.

2 comments:

Divinity 4:40 p.m.  

Good luck with the accomodations! One thing I do not miss about life abroad is the constant moving. A little homefront stability is totally worth giving up the West End theatres... for now.

Kat 8:36 a.m.  

I can't believe you said that!!!! By the way, I need your mailing address... have a little something to send you.