I'M FREE!! I'M FREE!!
>> Wednesday, November 08, 2006
So I handed in my resignation last week. It went much smoother than I thought. The headteacher was understanding. I think she knew that it was coming. After the other teacher in my department went to talk to her about our head of department before the half term break, I think she figured out that I was also unhappy. She asked Chantal, but Chantal just said to ask me. I think that gave it away though. Of course the headteacher wanted to know why, so I simply said that there was a personality clash and that being an Assistant Head of the school did not leave ______ with enough time to be a head of department as well. I agreed to stay on until they found a replacement for me.
_____ did not speak to me at all last week, either before or after my resignation. I found out from Chantal that they hired someone on Friday to replace me. Then yesterday during 4th period (we have 5 a day, my 4th was a free), ______ shows up in my room with the new teacher to catch her up on where the classes are and where things are kept and so on. I have no idea why ______ felt the need to be there. But in typical dictatorial style she ran the show. It was incredibly uncomfortable. Then ______ gave me a list of things she wanted me to do before the end of the day (I guess this will be my last day then, thanks for all the notice)... go through your year 9 classes and pick out the top 4 gifted students for a special program, decide which exam (Higher or Foundation) your year 11 students should be entered for.. and so on. She couldn't have given me any of this to do last week when I actually could have had time to think about it. Nope, better wait until the last minute so I can give a really rushed decision.
To top things off, _____ had one of the IT techs come and take my laptop and Bromcom away before I finished teaching my last lesson of the day. I still had afternoon registration to do, but better make sure to get that Bromcom back because it is so worth stealing. (In actuality it is a totally useless piece of equipment that is barely capable of taking a class register and that's it).
So... no regrets here. ______ treated me like a thief, an idiot, and a worthless human being. I feel so much better just 1 day after getting out of that place. It was completely toxic. I never went around badmouthing _______. Chantal and I discussed it because we were in the same boat and usually heard when ______ was criticizing the other because our rooms were adjoining. ______ would often say bad things about one of us to the other one as well. But besides Chantal, I kept my mouth shut. Until I resigned. Then, whenever I told one of the other teachers that I was leaving, they all asked me if it was because of ______. I told them yes. They said you're not the first. We left it at that. There is nothing more that needed to be said.
1 comments:
Wow. That really sounds like a toxic environment. I'm glad you're out of there and hope that the supply work isn't too crazy. You'll probably pick up another contract soon! Maybe SB's got a spot. That would be an ironical commute, wouldn't it? How's the living situation? Cheers!
Post a Comment